Hi, hey, hello and happy Tuesday!
So today we’re back for another round of Authors A-Z 🙂 But first … Lockdown Update. Feel free to skip to the good bits but I think it would be pretty cool to have this documented because everything that’s going on right now is crazy.
- Today is day 2 or day 3 of lockdown? I don’t actually know when it officially began but no family arguments have kicked off yet.
- Online classes are … great? Yesterday morning I woke up at 8. Stayed in bed to check my french class at 8:30. Showered super chill before doing my Latin homework for that day then did Latin & Greek class over WhatsApp for 2 hours. Fun.
- I’m sending TikToks to anyone and everyone. I may be addicted.
- I finished an ARC and I’m watching the last episode of Elite season 2 as I type.
- We played Monopoly. I won. Nobody cried. A miracle!
- And a super sweet thing everyone is doing is at 8pm we all go out on our balconies and give a huge, well deserved round of applause to the medical personal.
But anyways, moving on from that. Let’s jump into authors K-O
Karen M. McManus is an instant buy author for me. I’ve read both of her previous books One of Us Is Lying and Two Can Keep a Secret and really loved them. Her stories are filled with teenage angst and mystery and intrigue. They remind me a lot of CW teen shows in the best possible way.
I also have a sort of tradition with these books where I buy her newest release every year I go back to England to visit my dad and siblings. I was scheduled to go back in April and buy her new release One of Us Is Next but that’s not happening now but I’ll definitely be getting my hands on this book asap, hopefully in time for summer because I find these to be great books to read during a lazy summer day by the pool.
I’ve read only 1 duology by Laura Steven but I think she may be a favourite author. Her writing style is both jam packed with humour and sarcasm while also being powerful and emotional.
Her newest release The Love Hypothesis was another I was 100% planning on getting during my England book buying spree and is one I definitely plan on adding to my Amazon cart as soon as I’m able.
I can’t wait to read anything and everything she brings out.
Possible unpopular, low-key controversial bookish opinion but … I don’t like Morgan Matson. I’ve tried. I’ve attempted to read both Since You’ve Been Gone and also Amy & Rogers Epic Detour and DNF-ed both of them before getting even half way through.
Her books are quite beloved YA contemporaries so I am quite sad and disappointed that they weren’t for me but oh well.
I haven’t actually read a book by Naomi Novik yet however she’s best known for her books Spinning Silver and Uprooted. These are books that have just never interested me personally although I have heard glowing reviews.
However I recently found the synopsis for her new 2020 release and I need it in my hands NOW. It’s called A Deadly Education, has a beautiful cover and is all about “a school for the magically gifted where failure means certain death”, to quote Goodreads. Yep. Definitley added to my TBR.
I was really struggling for an O author so I’ve decided to talk about a queen: Michelle Obama.
I read her autobiography last year and it was so beautifully and eloquently written I was transfixed not only by the life she’s lead but how she worded everything.
So there we go for another week. I hope you’re all staying safe 🖤 Thank you for reading.