Hellooo and happy Friday:)
So there’s a chance that this was my last week of class and homework. I mean I know I have an exam next week but then I think that’s it. Is it bad that I don’t know this? I’m genuinely so confused as to what’s happening. Ahhh fun times.
Anyways today I am asking the important question: how basic is my bookshelf?
I think this was created by Jesse The Reader, at least that’s whose video I watched and where I got this list of “basic” books from at the very least. HERE is a link to that video but I thought it looked fun so here I am today.
Before getting fully into this … Black Life Matters protests are still happening all over the world and even if you can’t be on the front lines marching there’s still so many ways you can help such as:
- Signing petitions such as those listed HERE
- Donating HERE if you’re able.
- And if you can’t donate you can watch videos where all the ad revenue is donated to various charities and organizations HERE.
Basically the aim of the game is to see how many of these “basic” books you have on your bookshelf. The more you have the more basic you are.
- The Selection by Keira Cass – YEP. So I have book 1 on my shelf and I actually have this in Spanish because I failed a class a couple of years ago and had to read this and write a report to help me pass.
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab – YEP. I have 2/3 of this trilogy but I’ve only read the first book so far because I am terrible.
- Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo – YEP. Of course I have both books in this duology. It took me a good year before picking up book 1 but when I did i loved it.
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black – NOPE. I do not own this book and it’s not one I plan on reading either. I know it’s super popular but it’s just not my thing.
- Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare – YEP. Listen I am fully against capitalism but I let myself off with this series, which sure should have ended like three series ago, because they make me happy and in the world we’re living in today being happy is important.
- The Matched series by Ally Condie – NOPE. I got into YA way too late to ever be interested in this series.
- Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick – NOPE. Again I got into YA too late for this book.
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas- YEP. I have the first five books and the novella prequel bind up. I really enjoy these books but I get intimidated by the size. I’m hoping to read Empire of Storms this year maybe.
- Any John Green books- I USED TO. Does it count if I don’t anymore? I used to own Paper Towns but hated it so I gave it to a local car boot that raises money to help local street cats.
- Harry Potter – YEP. I have a mix-matched set, half original covers and half the new colourful editions from a few years back.
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – YEP. I do and I’ve got a really nice pink edition with fanart on the end pages but … I didn’t like it so I’m thinking of unhauling soon.
- Twilight by Stephanie Meyer- YEP. I have the first two books of this series. Book 1 is the same I’ve had since I was ten years old. It might be the oldest book I own.
- Dessen books- NOPE. There was a few of her books that I was really interested in at one point but never ended up reading.
- Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- YEP. My mum got me these because she really liked the movies.
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkein – NOPE. Never read these books and only watched some of the movie because my drunk Spanish primary school teacher used to let us watch movies every Friday morning instead of teaching us.
- To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Hann – YEP. I only have the first book but I have read the sequel. Who knows when I’ll get around to the third book.
- Roal Dahl Books – YEP. I do have some somewhere. Not actually on my bookshelf right now though, I think they’re in a box in the attic. I was a big fan of these as a kid, I read Matilda and BFG a lot.
- Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- NOPE. I’ve actually never watched the movie either but it has Emma Watson and Logan Lerman in it so maybe I should.
- Divergent by Veronica Roth – NOPE. I’m not a huge fan of dystopian and I didn’t like the movie so I never went out of my way to read the book.
- Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl – NOPE. I’ve seen the trailer for the movie on Netflix and I’ve saved it to watch but idk, it looks a bit wierd.
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher – NOPE. I haven’t finished the Netflix series either. I watched season 1 and … I think I watched some of season 2 but I wasn’t a big fan.
- Maze Runner by James Dashner – NOPE. Again with the not being too interested in dytopia but I did like this movie (maybe because of Dylan O’Brien but really who can say).
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – NOPE. I know this is a really popular and important read so hopefully I’ll get to it one day.
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins – YEP. I do have this on my shelf but it’s on the bottom shelf. I think there’s still a bookmark in this from when I tried to read it like 2 years ago.
- Little Women – NOPE. And I haven’t seen the newly released movie either.
The results are in … I own 12 out of 25 books, 13 if you count the fact that once upon a time I owned a John Green book. I don’t think that’s bad. That’s basically 50% basic. I’m cool with that.
This was actually really fun and I definitely recommend seeing how basic you are. Thanks for reading and stay safe.